YFD Responds to Duplex Fire on South 9th Avenue

Yakima Fire Department (YFD) crews responded to a fire early this morning, Tuesday, October 29th, involving a duplex in the 700 block of South 9th Avenue.

The fire was reported at 2:19 am this morning. Firefighters arrived to find fire coming from the front and side windows of one of the units.

The Yakima Police Department (YPD) was on scene and evacuated residents in the adjoining unit. YPD also made contact with residents in the unit where the fire broke out to confirm they were not injured.

The apartment and all of its contents were destroyed in the unit where the fire began. The other unit suffered little to no damage.

The Red Cross assisted residents in the unit where the fire began. The occupants of the other apartment contacted family for assistance.

It is believed the fire was caused by a portable space heater that was too close to combustible materials, or by an inadequate extension cord serving the portable heater.

The estimated dollar loss is $80,000.

Call 575-6060 or visit https://yakimafire.com/ for more about the Yakima Fire Department.