The Yakima Fire Department (YFD) recommends the following safety tips for pedestrians and drivers provided by the National Safety Council (NSC):
- Never walk while texting.
- Never cross the street while using an electronic device.
- Look left, right, then left again before crossing the street.
- Cross only at crosswalks.
Drivers should be on increased alert when traveling through school zones and should never text and drive. Additionally, YFD reminds drivers:
- Stop and yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk or intersection.
- Always stop for a school patrol officer or crossing guard holding up a stop sign.
- Take extra care to look out for children in school zones, near playgrounds and parks, and in all residential areas.
- Never pass a vehicle stopped for pedestrians.
Call 575-6060 or visit https://yakimafire.com/ for more about the Yakima Fire Department.