How Do I Get a Knox Box?
Contact our Administration Office at 575-6060
Business Hours: 8am-5pm
Monday – Friday (Excluding Holidays)
What is a Knox Box?
For years the Engine and Truck Companies maintained a key chain with the keys to many businesses and residences throughout their first due territory. The purpose was to reduce the cost of damage to a business or residence owner when the Fire Department received a call for service that required us to enter the building or residence when no one was there. Maintaining this key ring to alarmed buildings and residences became increasingly unmanageable due too its size and the number of keys that we had to carry on the apparatus. The Engine and Truck Company Officers reevaluated the benefits of the program and decided it was a program they would like to continue but another way to accomplish it had to be found.
The Yakima Fire Department looked at several alternatives and finally decided upon the Knox-Box Rapid Entry System due to its outstanding security features. The program has been well received throughout the community and continues to expand on a daily basis. Currently there are approximately 265 Knox Boxes in the City of Yakima.
Knox-Boxes are constructed of solid steel with a steel door and reinforced locking mechanism. They are UL (Underwriters Laboratory) listed against physical attack and the Medeco security lock is patented. They are UL listed for drill, pick, and pull resistance. The master key to the box is kept only by the local Engine and Truck Companies and is secured in a special locking safe that is permanently mounted inside our apparatus. The safe can only be opened after special security procedures are followed.
Knox-Boxes are purchased directly from the Knox Company with the assistance of the fire company. Once installed near the entrance to your property, the fire company locks your building entrance key inside the Knox-Box so that it is available onsite for future emergencies.
10 reasons to install a knox box
- Eliminate needless, costly forced entry damage that may not be covered by your insurance deductible.
- Assure immediate building entry by firefighters without delay or waiting for building keys.
- Protect inventory, equipment and supplies from unnecessary water damage caused by delayed sprinkler shut-off.
- Satisfy local fire codes and emergency access ordinances.
- Save time and aggravation by not having to drive to your establishment at 2:00 am for a false alarm.
- Feel secure about emergency coverage when your building/residence is left unattended. The Fire Department holds the only key to the Knox-Box.
- Maintain building security after a fire alarm investigation by simply re-locking the undamaged door.
- Protect your property from thousands of dollars in damage with this one-time, low cost investment.
- Depend on the highest lock box security available with attack resistant, UL tested reliability.
- Over the last 27 years, Knox-Box has been the chosen solution in 7,000 communities nationwide – communities just like ours!
Questions and Answers
- What is a KNOX BOX system? It’s a high-security box system, designed to give firefighters and emergency services immediate access to locked buildings, elevators, and other secured areas.
- Why install a KNOX BOX? Installation of a KNOX BOX on your property will not only allow firefighters faster access in case of an emergency, but will also prevent expensive forcible entry should emergency services be required while the premises are unoccupied. Costly front doors and entry ways needn’t be harmed if entry keys are available on-site!
- How does the KNOX BOX system work? Following your purchase of a KNOX BOX from the factory, you will mount it securely on the exterior of your building; attractive recessed-mount models are available. All necessary access keys will be locked inside by a representative of the fire department; only the fire department’s master key can open the box.The KNOX BOX gives the fire department a simple alternative to expensive, time-consuming forcible entry. The generous interior capacity allows you to store everything emergency personnel may require–keys, floor plans, electronic entry cards, and more–in complete security until needed.
- How secure is a KNOX BOX system? Security has always been a KNOX strong point. Designed for maximum protection, each virtually indestructible box features a special high-security Medeco lock and key. This Medeco restricted locking system guards against unauthorized key duplication. Keys aren’t even available to locksmiths or lock distributors–only The KNOX Company can supply these keys!The Knox Box system offers maximum security at every step. The department has an exclusive key code. All Knox Box stations in that city are keyed alike–and only the fire department has master keys.
- Who can authorize a KNOX BOX system? Strict security control is maintained by allowing only fire departments to authorize the purchase of each Knox Box. This is achieved by using a special authorization form which you can obtain only from your fire department; the form must be signed by a fire department official whose signature is on file at the factory. After verifying the signature, the Knox box is shipped directly to you. Each Knox Box is shipped without keys, locked in an open position and ready for mounting.
- How is a KNOX BOX installed? Each KNOX BOX is shipped with complete mounting instructions; however, your fire department will assist you in choosing a proper location for mounting. After installation is completed, the fire department will conduct an inspection of the installation and lock building keys inside the box. As soon as building keys are locked inside the box, it is ready to provide immediate access to emergency personnel– 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.