The COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic is a rapidly evolving situation with more than 3,000 confirmed cases in Yakima County. The City of Yakima has declared an emergency due to concerns about its possible spread.
The Yakima Fire Department (YFD) continues to serve the community during this pandemic and is taking the following precautions:
- All YFD members are wearing face masks in the stations (except when eating and sleeping).
- When responding to EMS aid calls, firefighters are wearing personal protective equipment, including N95 masks and gowns.
- All stations are closed to the public for any non-essential business.
- All stations have been disinfected by a donation from Baxter Construction.
- Implemented routine disinfecting and cleaning of all stations and apparatus.
From Feb. 29 through April 30, YFD responded to 30 EMS calls related to confirmed or presumed cases of COVID-19.
YFD’s EMS calls have increased by 40% due to COVID-19 symptoms (difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, fever or cough).